Until recently I really hated returning my "shopping mistakes"
to the shops. This dated back to my younger days when shops were much
more reluctant to refund purchases, and I found the whole process really
Here are a few tips I've found useful in getting over this sticking point
- Use or wear new purchases as soon as possible - whatever you do, don't
stick them at the back of the wardrobe and forget about them.
- Check the receipt for details of how long the shop's returns policy
is - it usually is 14-28 days but occasionally shops like M&S offer
a generous 90 days.
- Make sure you keep the receipt in a safe place in case you need to
return your purchase
- If you have real problems remembering put a note in your diary a few
days before the returns policy expires and be sure to use the item by
- Keep all packaging and labels on products until you first use them,
so it is clear they are unused if you need to take them back
- We all make shopping mistakes so don't feel bad about it!
And finally - it does get easier. I'm now a dab hand at taking things
back - you can be too.
tip | back to index | next